Do you like trackitt?
  • jQuery News Ticker now has support for multiple tickers per page!
  • jQuery News Ticker now has support for right-to-left languages!
  • jQuery News Ticker now has support for loading content via an RSS feed!
  • jQuery News Ticker now has an optional fade effect between items!
  • New updates have been made to jQuery News Ticker! Check below for more details!
  • jQuery News Ticker is now compatible with jQuery 1.3.2! See below for further details and for latest download.
  • Further updates to jQuery News Ticker are coming soon!
Back to Forum

Discuss OPT case

OPT case: Approved in 92 days (20 days more than average)  (Report this case)
User: teja1 Nationality: India
Job Offer in Hand While Applying?:yesService Center:Potomac
Application Filed:15 Nov 2017Processing Type:regular
USCIS Received Date:15 Nov 2017RFE Received?:no
RFE Received Date:Reason for RFE:
RFE Replied Date:Application Status:approved
Approval/Denial Date:15 Feb 2018Card Ordered Date:
EAD Received:Total Processing Time:92 days
Days Elapsed:University:
Case Added to Tracker: 11 Jan 2018 Last Updated: 17 Mar 2018
Notes: OPT Extension. My receipt number: YSC1890043*** phone SR 1/31(12 pm CST). online SR and Ombudsman request 2/14.Expedite request 2/16 and got response 'approved' but online status did not update.
Watch this case
Users currently watching this case: teja1, btran, Mouktik, lp12, snk1230, BalajiReddy, worldhello
 Posted by amtr2546 on 31 Jan 2018
Just now I also raised an SR via eSR request. My application is also for OPT-STEM extension.

REceipt number:YSC1890045***
 Posted by teja1 on 31 Jan 2018
Cool. Have you received any confirmation email after submitting the request?
 Posted by amtr2546 on 31 Jan 2018
Yeah I got an email. Saying the same thing when I submitted my request. It says that I will receive a reply before Feb22.
 Posted by teja1 on 08 Feb 2018
Not sure what 'application filed date' is. I only see received date (11/15) and notice date (11/17) on my OPT receipt. Processing time is 90 days from received date. Nothing to do with notice date.
 Posted by amtr2546 on 08 Feb 2018
@ Teja1

Today I received a reply for my SR. Below is the reply.

"Recently, you or your representative contacted USCIS concerning your Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, to notify us that you believe your case is approaching the committed processing time. Below is a summary of what we found and how the issue has been or may be resolved.

Your application is still pending consideration. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) records show your case is in line to be reviewed by an officer. We ask that you allow additional time for this process to take place since we process these cases in the order received."
 Posted by teja1 on 10 Feb 2018

I received this reply on 2/7.

Your case is currently under review by an officer. You should receive a decision, correspondence or notice of other action within 30 days of the date of this letter".
 Posted by amtr2546 on 10 Feb 2018
I think these are just automated reply. Currently, I saw many approval between 90-100 days. I think we need to wait .
 Posted by teja1 on 12 Feb 2018

I don't think it's generic for all. It says "under review by officer and within 30 days" for me and "in line to be reviewed by an officer" for you. So, there is surely some difference. We just have to wait for our status change. Good luck.
 Posted by lp12 on 16 Feb 2018
any update?
 Posted by lp12 on 16 Feb 2018

any update?
 Posted by teja1 on 16 Feb 2018
@ lp12 I raised my 2nd SR online on 2/14 and submitted a request to ombudsman's office online on 2/14. No change in status yet. Yours is pending from 102 days! So, I guess you will get it before me.
 Posted by amtr2546 on 16 Feb 2018
@teja1: I guess they put first time OPT as a priority. In OPT extension cases, it may take upto 180 days.
 Posted by teja1 on 16 Feb 2018
@amtr2546 Agree with you. Also, sorry, you were right about the generic email. I submitted online SR on 2/14 and got the same response.
 Posted by teja1 on 16 Feb 2018

I just got an email from ombudsman's office that ' a decision has been taken on my application'. They're not revealing the decision though. Just have to wait for status change now. Hope this helps.
 Posted by amtr2546 on 16 Feb 2018
I hope this will be an approval. Hopefully, next week they will update your case.
 Posted by teja1 on 16 Feb 2018

Sweet. Thank you for saying that. Appreciate it. Hopefully, that's the case. I wish the same for you next week.
 Posted by snk1230 on 16 Feb 2018
My application was received by USCIS on 20-Nov-17 and is pending. My grandmother is unwell and I need to travel to India urgently. Not sure if this reason qualifies for "expedite". I'm thinking of raising an Ombudsman request on Monday as it will be past 90 days.
When you submitted the case to Ombudsman, what documents did you provide ? I might ask for a doctor letter from India as supporting documentation. Can you confirm this is the correct link to submit the request -

Appreciate any help you guys can provide
 Posted by teja1 on 16 Feb 2018

Sorry to hear about your grandmother. It surely qualifies for an expedite request. Please file under category ' extreme emergency situation' and explain the reason on call. You may raise Ombudsman request today as it will be 90 days by the time they see it on Monday. I provided offer letter and I-797C form (OPT receipt). A doctor letter would make your request stronger. So, if you can, include that as well. Yes, that is the correct link. Don't worry, we all are with you. Good luck and hope for the best.

Just FYI, when you submit the Ombudsman request, you won't see your receipt details in the confirmation email body. Don't worry, it's a bug in their email. I didn't want others to have that confusion( whether details went through or not).
 Posted by snk1230 on 18 Feb 2018
Submitted Ombudsman request today, with relevant documentation plus a letter from the doctor. Hoping to atleast get online confirmation of approval so i can make travel arrangements. I'm guessing this process takes around 2-3 days. Please update when you get the decision from USCIS
 Posted by amtr2546 on 19 Feb 2018
@snk1230: I hope they will consider your request.
@teja1: Please let us know once you have any update regarding your case. I am also thinking to try Ombudsman route.
 Posted by lp12 on 19 Feb 2018

Do let us know about your case status. Wondering if I could also raise ombudsman request...
 Posted by teja1 on 19 Feb 2018
@snk1230: Great. I hope you will hear good news in 2 days. I will let you know when I have an update.

@amtr2546 and @ lp12 : I will surely let you guys know but don't wait for me. Please go ahead and submit Ombudsman request because they said 'decision has been taken in my case and they are closing the matter'. So, they're acting fast and helps. Now the ball is with USCIS. Ombudsman office is doing their job.
 Posted by teja1 on 21 Feb 2018
@lp12 , @snk1230 and @amtr2546 Just received an email for my expedite request raised on 2/16. Approved and sent for card production but online status still says 'case was received'. So, I'd say, please raise expedite request to know the exact status. I'll be around to help. Good luck guys, when the going gets tough, the tough gets going! 'Be tough' is my advice to all those waiting.
 Posted by amtr2546 on 21 Feb 2018
@Teja1: congratulations Man! Finally you are out of indefinite wait time. What was the pro widget to expedite the case?
 Posted by teja1 on 21 Feb 2018
@amtr2546 Thanks, man! You've been very helpful throughout. Appreciate it. Yes, finally. It was approved before I submitted ombudsman request( submitted on 2/14) as ombudsman got back to me on 2/16 saying 'decision has been made by uscis and they won't involve in the matter'. Online status didn't change. Hence the confusion. I can't tell on which day it got approved, so I just put today's date as approved date.
 Posted by BalajiReddy on 22 Feb 2018
Congrats Teja.. How to raise the Expedite request?
 Posted by BalajiReddy on 22 Feb 2018
Congrats Teja.. How to raise the Expedite request?
 Posted by teja1 on 23 Feb 2018
@BalajiReddy Thank you, Balaji. Sorry for the delayed response. Please call National Customer Service Center (NCSC) at 1-800-375-5283 and ask that they create an expedite request. You need to give them a criteria among these . You will hear back in approximately 3 -5 business days.
 Posted by lp12 on 17 Mar 2018
@teja -Did you get your card yet?

Under what category did you create a expedite request?
 Posted by teja1 on 18 Mar 2018

I did not get my EAD card yet. However, I received OPT approval notice on Feb 20 (approved on Feb 15).

I filed under extreme emergency situation but it did not go through as my petition was already approved (before I filed expedite request). They just did not update online status (even now it says 'case was recevied').